gmark - [GMark] Re: [GTh] Secret Mark-Thomas

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: <gthomas AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [GMark] Re: [GTh] Secret Mark-Thomas
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:07:47 -0600

I think most online are aware of my opinion that the GoT began as Mark's notes of "Jesus said..." which he used to compose his gospel. I have listed the various Thomas logia found in Mark and discussed the Aramaic structures. It is not a radical shift in paradigm from the "Mark used Thomas" stance to the Mark WROTE Thomas stance. As I mentioned on this subject in September:

We have records that Mark took dictation from Peter/Kefa and acted as his
interpreter (from Aramaic to Greek) as Peter wandered about. We have a
record of Mark taking his notes (from Peter) to Alexandria to polish a
gospel....and apparently there were several editions. The notes of "Jesus
saids..." may have taken on a life of their own to become the Gospel of
Thomas apart from the "Jesus saids..." of putative "Q" and Matthew's
"Logia." This sayings gospel probably became attached to Thomas' name
rather than Mark based on the tradition Thomas may have used it in Syria and India.

Just as the Gospel of Thomas had a trajectory in the Gnostic community in Egypt, so also did "Secret Mark" which contains the following.

Jesus instructed him. And when it was late, the young man went
08 to him. He had put a linen around his naked body, and
09 he remained with him through that night. For Jesus taught him
10 the mystery of the kingdom of God.

Sexually immature and repressed Monks would immediately look at this as a homosexual thing and that is probably why the Archimandrite around 1750 ordered someone to destroy Clement's letter and that librarian, probably horrified at the loss of the document, hurriedly scribbled the document in the Voss' book flyleaves. Now the current Patriarch followed the same absurdity by cutting the leaves out of the book "to photograph them better" and "misplacing" them.

But when we look at the Gospel of Thomas logia 36 and 37:

Oxyrhynchus:

[Jesus said, "Do not worry f]rom early u[ntil late no]r from ev[ening until m]orning. Worry neither [for y]our [food,] what [you] will eat, [nor] for [your] c[lothes,] what you will wear. [You are] [mu]ch gr[ea]ter than the [lil]lies wh[ich n]either ca[r]d nor s[pi]n. When you have n[o c]lo[thing], what do [you wear]? Who can add to your time of life? H[e it is who w]ill give you your clothing."

His disciples said to him, "When will you be visible to us? And when will we see you?"
He said, "When you undress and are not ashamed."

Nag Hammadi:

(36) Jesus said, "Do not be concerned from morning until evening and from evening until morning about what you will wear."

(37) His disciples said, "When will you become revealed to us and when shall we see you?"
Jesus said, "When you disrobe without being ashamed and take up your garments and place them under your feet like little children and tread on them, then will you see the son of the living one, and you will not be afraid"

I think we see not only a connection between Secret Mark and Thomas, in support of my position, but the "mystery" of the nakedness explained. Being naked and as little children was a central Yeshuine theme and little children are not ashamed. When an adult is also unashamed, the KoH is available to them. I am convinced this theme goes back to the historical Jesus and was in the autograph Mark.

Jack