gmark - [GMark] Final Call: 8th Annual E-Lister's gathering at SBL

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT comcast.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [GMark] Final Call: 8th Annual E-Lister's gathering at SBL
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:26:44 -0600

With apologies for cross posting!

This is the third and final notice of the annual gathering of Biblical
and Biblical Studies E-Listers at the annual meeting of the SBL that
begins in two day's time in San Antonio, Texas.

(For details, see
http://www.sbl-site.org/congresses/Congresses_AnnualMeeting.aspx).

The E-Lister's meeting is planned for Saturday, Nov. 20th at 11:30 am
(note the slight time change from 11 am) in Exhibit Hall C of the Henry
B. Gonzalez Exhibition Center and (with thanks to the stalwart
representatives of the Gramcord Institute) at the Gramcord Institute
Booth (Booth # 452).

As attendees of previous meetings know, this gathering is a great
opportunity to place a face to an one hitherto known only as an
electronic personality and/or to renew acquaintances made at previous
SBLs.

Included here is a lists of all E-Listers who have let me know that they
will be attending the SBL Meeting (not all of whom, unfortunately, will
be able to come to the E-Lister's gathering), along with notices of
papers they are presenting and/or sessions in which they are
participating/presiding.

Apologies if I've left anyone out who has contacted me about this.

If you have not yet contacted me, but will be attending the meeting,
please write me OFF LIST at jgibson000 AT comcast.net and let me know the
following ASAP. (I'll post a final head count tomorrow morning)

(a) if and when and under what aegis you are presenting a paper,

(b) your paper title, AND

(c) what you consider to be your "home" E-List.

As ever,

Jeffrey
--

Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
Chicago, IL 60626
jgibson000 AT comcast.net

*******
B-Greek

John Schwandt (New St. Andrews College, National Biblical Greek Exam)
No paper

Cindy Westfall
No paper--right now, I'm sceduled as a respondant to to papers Sunday
at 9:00, but as a new co-chair of the Biblical Greek Language and
Linguistics Section, I've stepped down and will chair it instead.

Sandra Hack Polaski
Paper: "New Creation: A New Beginning in Pauline Theology." in the
Pauline Epistles Section, Session S23-13 a paper titled

Randall Buth
Paper: "Teaching Greek Outside of a Textbook" in S20-52 Best Practices
in Teaching Workshop 11/20/2004 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM

and

"Double Frontings in Hebrew, Based on the Masoretic Torah" in S21-18
Linguistics and Biblical Hebrew 11/21/2004 Sunday 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM

Norman Hutchinson
No Paper

Carlton Winbery
No Paper

Joseph Weaks, Senior Minister, Bethany Christian Church, Dallas
No Paper

Susan Jeffers, Adjunct faculty,Bethany Theological Seminary and Earlham
School of Religion
I'm giving a paper at the Quaker Theological Discussion Group Meeting
Friday evening (an Additional Meeting). It's a retrospective for the
50th anniversary of our little journal "Quaker Religious Thought".

*******
Biblical Studies

Jim West
No Paper

******
Corpus Paulinum

Kent L. Yinger, Assoc. Prof. of NT George Fox University
No Paper

Mark D. Nanos, Rockhurst University Soebbing Visiting Scholar
Responding to papers on the subject of "Galatians and Images of Empire"
in the Paul and Politics Group, S20-64, on Sat. 1pm to 3:30pm. Room
CC-217C.

Perry L. Stepp, Associate Professor of Biblical Studies Kentucky
Christian University
No Paper

Ray Picket
Presenting a paper entitled “Negotiating Community Identity in the
Corinthian Assembly” in the Paul and Politics Group Saturday morning
(S20-64), Saturday 1:00 pm.

Eli Elliot
Presiding for Paul & Politics Group Session S29-64 at 1:00pm on
Saturday:
Theme: Reports from Working Groups on "Peoples History" in
Galatia/Galatians and Corinth/Corinthians
Theme I: Galatians and Images of Empire
Theme II: Negotiating Identity Boundaries: The Ekklesia in Roman Corinth

******
E-Matthew

James C. Miller
No Paper

*******
Megillot

Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
Paper: "Toward a Method of Tagging Hebrew Tense, Aspect, and Mood " in
S20-108 Computer Assisted Research 11/20/2004 4:00 PM to 6:30 PM Room
#207 - San Antonio Convention Center

and

"Greek Names for Hebrew and Aramaic: A Case for Lexical Revision" in
S22-5 Biblical Greek Language and Linguistics 11/22/2004 9:00 AM to
11:30 AM Room #214B - San Antonio Convention Center

*******
Hugoye

Naomi Koltun-Fromm, Assoc. Prof. of Religion, Haverford College
Paper: "Rabbinic Holiness between Chosenness and Spiritual Achievement"
in S22-113: History and Literature of Early Rabbinic Judaism 4-6:30pm,
11/22/04 room CC #213A.

*******
Ioudaios

Robert A. Kraft, University of Pennsylvania
Parer: "From Jewish Scribes to Christian Scriptoria: Issues of
Continuity and Discontinuity" in
SBL S22-110, "Early Jewish Christian Relations Section in concert with
New Testament Textual
Criticism and Papyrology and Early Christian Backgrounds, Monday, 4-6:30
in CC-207

Jim Davila, Lecturer in Early Jewish Studies, St. Mary's College,
University of St. Andrews
Paper: "Astrology and the Descenders to the Chariot"; Also chairing a
session of the Early Jewish and Christian Mysticism Group

*******
John Lit

Armand J. "Joe" Gagne Jr., University of South Carolina Sumter
No Paper

Elizabeth Danna
No Paper

Stan Harstine, Friends University
Paper: “Un-Doubting Thomas: Recognition Scenes in the Ancient World” in
Johannine Section, Tuesday
morning

Michael Willett Newheart, Associate Professor of New Testament Language
and Literature, Howard University School of Divinity
Paper: "Fanning Fanon's Flame: Using the Afro-Caribbean Psychiatrist
Frantz Fanon in Interpreting the Apocalyptic Texts of Terror," 9:00 am
Saturday in the Psychology and Biblical Studies section

*****
Kata Markon

Geert Van Oyen, University of Utrecht, the Netherlands
Paper: "The Meaning of Jesus' Death in the Gospel of Mark. A Real Reader
Perspective" in The Mark Group.

Jesper Svartvik, Th.D., Fellow of the Swedish Research Council at Lund
University, Centre for Theology & Rel. Studies
Paper: "To Whom is the Chricstian Femal Slave in Thrall?" in the African
American Hermeneutics Section

*******
Synoptic -L

Stephen C. Carlson, Fairfax, VA
Paper: "The Origin(s) of the "Caesarean" Text" in S20-62New Testament
Textual Criticism Section, 11/20/2004, 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM Room #214B -
San Antonio Convention Center

Paul Buckley
No Paper

*******
XTalk

Mark Goodacre, Dept of Theology and Religion, University of Birmingham

Paper: Scripturalization in Mark's Crucifixion Narrative
(http://ntgateway.com/Markcrucif.doc), Mark Group, Sunday 21 November, 1
pm.

Jeffrey B. Gibson, Harry S Truman College
Paper: "Once Again, the "Sign" of Jonah" in S20-68Synoptic Gospels
11/20/2004 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM
Room: Room #204B - San Antonio Convention Center

Gordon Raynal
No Paper

Gail Dawson
No Paper

Bob Webb
Presenting a summary of a paper entitled "Intertexture and Argumentative
Strategy within Priestly Discourse in First Peter" in the Rhetoric and
the New Testament section (Saturday, 4pm - 6pm).

********

  • [GMark] Final Call: 8th Annual E-Lister's gathering at SBL, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 11/18/2004