gmark - Re: [GMark] Interpretive Reading/Outline - Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: HStaiti AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] Interpretive Reading/Outline - Mark
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 21:17:19 EST

In a message dated 1/17/2003 6:25:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, antonio.jerez AT zeta.telenordia.se writes:
Harry,
I think many of your ideas on GMark are sound, not the least that it was
written in Rome for a christian community
facing persecution. But at the end of your message I started asking myself
some questions. Personally I donĀ“t
find anything in GMark that tries to portray Jesus as "a priest like Aaron".
What has made you come to a conclusion
like that?

Interpretive reading of chapter 14, Jesus' martyrdom, and the timing of it all during passover.

> And where did you get the idea that Mark wants to portray Jesus

as a "martyr king like David"? Was king
David seen as a martyr in first century Jewish tradition?

I think it is the wrong question. Did I write that Jesus is portrayed as like David who was a martyred King? I hope not. Maybe I should rewrite that section and make myself clearer. What I meant is that Jesus was seen by the early church as a victorious king because of his martyrdom.

Peace to you,
Harry Staiti
Ware Community Church
"A Life-giving Congregation"