gmark - support for Kelber's position? (was: Re: gmark digest: October 27, 2002)

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT attbi.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: support for Kelber's position? (was: Re: gmark digest: October 27, 2002)
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:27:12 -0600

Kym Smith wrote:

> I agree that it is difficult to imagine someone writing in the midst of
> the Jerusalem siege and then expecting to have much of a readership.

As I noted before, tell that to Daniel. And that an expectation of having
"much of a readership" is a condition for writing begs the question, doesn't
it? Excuse the unintended innuendo, but does size matter? Would Mark not
have written if his congregation was 20 instead of 30 (or 500)?

> This
> is particularly so if Mark was written primarily for Christians, most of
> whom had deserted the city back in 66.

What is your evidence that this is the year in which they fled?

And in any case, my suggestion about when Mark was written does not depend
upon Mark's group being **in** Jerusalem. They only have to be strongly drawn
towards going there in response to what I have noted, with Josephus backing
me up, was what finally convinced many Jews, originally in the anti war
party, to go over to the war party's cause, namely, the "Senacherib like"
deliverances of the Temple from Roman armies
that confirmed the Zealots claims about divine sanction of the holy war that
they were carrying out in consonance with their understanding of Daniel 11
(an understanding which Mark himself acknowledges is working on his readers
but which he is striving to correct).

Side note: May I ask those who respond to the Kata Markon Digest form of
messages to replace the subject line that appears when you do so (which is
simply a reference to the digest's date) into something that tells us what
the topic you wish to discuss actually is?

Yours,

Jeffrey
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)