gmark - Re: gmark digest: October 27, 2002

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Ted Weeden" <weedent AT earthreach.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: October 27, 2002
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:43:19 -0600

Susan Hunnicutt wrote on Monday, October 28, 2002 6:08 AM
Dear Mr. Weeden, other members of the group:
Your piece on sleeping/ the disciples apostacy is not at the crosstalk site anymore, or yahoo cannot find crosstalk this morning.  I'm not sure which.  I would like to read it.
Jeffrey Gibson has indicated, as I assume you are now aware, that my essay can be found in the XTalk archives.

I would like to ask you and other members of the group, is Dr. Kelber's position, dating Mark after the fall of Jerusalem not even discussed?

I share Werner Kelber's position, along with many others, that Mark was written after the war.  I am of the persuasion that Mark was written at Caesarea Philippi, at least after the horrific spectacle of Titus- - - who returned from his destruction of Jerusalem with Jerusalemite prisoners to stay the late summer and early fall in Caesarea Philippi--- forcing his Jerusalemite prisoners into combat with each other, as well as feeding them to wild beasts, a continuing spectacle which was brought to a crescendo with Titus' own version of an "*Oktoberfest*," namely his celebration of his brother's birthday, on October 24, 70 CE, a celebration which included the massaccre of 2,500 of the Jerusalemite prisoners, according to Josephus (_The JewishWar_, 7.37-8).  I have already presented an essay, "Guidelines for Locating the Markan Community," which I posted to XTalk and Kata Markon on February 29, 2000, and I am preparing a further development of my thesis in an XTalk post in the near future.

BTW, I received a post from you, subject:" Fwd: Alward's View of Mark 14:38," with an attachment, but McAfee would not allow me to open the attachment because it was "unsafe."

Ted Weeden