gmark - Re: Literary function of 3:21-30 in the "story world" of Mark.

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Ralph Cox" <rmiltonc AT hotmail.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Literary function of 3:21-30 in the "story world" of Mark.
  • Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 18:51:29 -0700

From: Ralph Cox

Are they trying to tie up Jesus by saying he is in the power of Satan; Or,

Is Jesus tying up Satan by casting out demons?

The demonology that is found throughout the Gospels says that the conflict is many layered, but stemming from one source.

The Judean opponents were seen as a group deceived by Satan, and therefore doing his will.

Unless we are trying to see some "historical Jesus" beyond the text of Mark, we must assume a consistent line of reasoning (weather or not we believe it ourselves) thus:

Jesus casts out demons.

Jesus is accused of using the power of Satan to do it.

Jesus challenges the logic of Satan casting out his own demons (and in the parallels he reminds the Judeans that their own members also cast out demons, and that the validity of their allegation stands in judgment by their own.).

Jesus gives the reason for casting out demons; "You must first tie up the strong man."

Jesus closes with the warning that to call the Messiah a devil is treading on the unforgivable. (Because once you call God and his good works evil, there is no known way for God to win you back. Perhaps there is some modern application for the "Strong Man" in the outside world.)

rmiltonc AT hotmail.com