gmark - long ending of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Robert M. Fowler <rfowler AT bw.edu>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: long ending of Mark
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 20:38:22 -0400

>I'm doing a research on the long ending of Mark (16. 9-20). It has been =
>difficult to me to find some articles or books that deal minutely with =
>the style, and syntactical features of that segment of Mark. The point =
>I'm trying to elucidate is this: the section that goes from vvs. 9 to =
>20 is really Markan? Would you please informe abotut how and where to =
>get the stuff I'm looking for?
>With best regards
>Jose Antonio Septien

Almost 30 years ago I wrote an M.A. thesis on this topic ("The Problem of
the Ending of the Gospel of Mark," University of Kansas, 1974--I just
verified that they still have two copies of my thesis in the U of Kansas
library). That study was almost entirely text-critical in approach, with
a little bit of redaction criticism thrown in; it was before my days as a
reader-response critic. I suspect my analysis of the manuscript
tradition and Mark's 'redactional' tendencies would still hold up pretty
well. In any case, I'm glad I concluded way back then that Mark 16:8 was
probably the original ending of the gospel, because in the years since
that has seemed to emerge as a consensus.

There are also more recent, more thorough, and probably much more
polished pieces of work available on this topic. However, I'm away from
my office, on sabbatical, and do not have ready access to my bibliography
database. Periodical indices and library catalogs would quickly turn up
a number of such titles.

Bob Fowler

* Robert M. Fowler, Ph.D. *
* Professor and Chairperson, Department of Religion *
* Baldwin-Wallace College, 275 Eastland Road, Berea, OH 44017 *
* rfowler AT bw.edu (primary) rfowler AT telocity.com (secondary) *
* http://www.bw.edu/~rfowler *
* 440-826-2173 (office) 440-826-3264 (office fax) *