gmark - Re: 14:20 and counting in Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Kym Smith" <khs AT picknowl.com.au>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: 14:20 and counting in Mark
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:30:45 -0400

Dear Rick,

I do think there are times for considering a very careful construction of
the gospels. I have very strong views about the Gospel of John, but that
is not for this list.

Just a comment about Mark 13:14 "Let the reader understand". I think this
is of a different order from Jesus' comments following the parable of the
sower "How then will you understand all the parables" (4:13). For one, the
former comment is not made in the context of an enigmatic parable but of a
reasonably clear prophetic message.

What I would suggest is that Mark - as did most of the NT - followed the
Revelation. The editorial insert into Jesus' speech is to remind the
readers what they had already been told, i.e. that Nero was the
antichrist/desolating sacrilege. The things Jesus was speaking about in
this 'little apocalypse' were - as far as the writer of thegospel was
concerned - about to be fulfilled. I must say here that I think the writer
- or, at least, the one who was primarily responsible for the Gospel of
Mark - was more likely to be the Apostle Peter than John Mark.

For some more detail on this see my post to the Synoptic-L list of 5th
August, 'A Solution for Consideration'.

Sincerely,

Kym Smith

  • 14:20 and counting in Mark, Rick Frommich, 08/09/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: 14:20 and counting in Mark, Kym Smith, 08/12/2001