gmark - Re: Two Halves of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Two Halves of Mark
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 06:54:33 -0800

Sid,

I like your general idea. I think I might tweak it a bit.

I think that perhaps the second half may start after the transfiguration scene (9:1-8). The transfiguration seems to be the climax we really desire at the end of the gospel, but are denied (which is why some think it may be a misplaced resurrection appearance). So I would place it at (close to?) the apex of the story line.

I'm also not sure "rise and fall" really captures the intent. I don't have an alternative to offer. I think the whole story (both halves) are included by Mark as "GOOD News" (Mk 1:1), which somehow doesn't jive with the idea of fall (as in raise & fall). When I think of "rise and fall", I think of what that means, for example, when applied to the Third Reich - utter collapse and demise - which I don't think is exactly Mark's idea. There is, however, a demise and descent for Mark's Christ - so maybe I'm just quibbling over words...
--
Peace

Steve Black
Vancouver, BC

  • Re: Two Halves of Mark, Steve Black, 06/02/2001