gmark - Re: Judas' Kiss-- Methodology & Misplaced Concreteness

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Judas' Kiss-- Methodology & Misplaced Concreteness
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 01:13:57 -0400

At 02:31 PM 4/9/01 -0500, Ted Weeden wrote:
>When it came to narrate Judas' consummating,
>treacherous act of betrayal, Mark made recourse to the practice of ancient
>authors, namely mimesis---a practice I drew attention to in my post of 3.27
>in my reference to Seneca and Dennis MacDonald's elucidation of this
>practice of mimesis by ancient authors when they transvalued (abstracted
>into other orientations) elements of their sources that they found necessary
>or appropriate to transform for their own ideological purposes.

MacDonald lays out a number of criteria for investigating
mimesis, viz. accessibilty, analogy, density, order,
distinctiveness, and interpretability. Based on my own
interdisciplinary study of literary dependence with
respect to modern copyright law, I believe that MacDonald
has formulated a good set of criteria. I'm wondering if
you have thought about these criteria regarding a possible
Markan interaction with 2 Samuel, and, if so, what the
results have been.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com