gmark - Re: The Anachronism of "History"

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Rikki E. Watts" <rwatts AT interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Anachronism of "History"
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:03:42 -0800

Title: Re: [gmark] The Anachronism of "History"
Steve,

Fair enough point on history and fiction (sorry about this burst of interaction but I’ve got a new G4 Mac TiBook and can’t keep away from it)...

... but isn’t there a danger of making the same mistake when you say...
It seems to me (to use modern categories) that ancient writers had no problem "imaginatively" interacting in their narrative construals of "history".

How do we know that this assessment is not anachronistic?  I’m not saying it is, but this it seems to me is why comparative genres are so important.

Regards
Rikk

  • The Anachronism of "History", Steve Black, 03/17/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: The Anachronism of "History", Rikki E. Watts, 03/19/2001