gmark - Re: Stumbling Stones

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Hudson Barton <hhbv AT highwinds.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Stumbling Stones
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:32:40 -0500

In the article at

http://sol.sci.uop.edu/~jfalward/Wicked_Tenant_Parables.htm

I present evidence that suggests an unflawed parable left Luke, acquired two
errors on its way to Matthew, and eventually arrived at Mark with one more
error.

Stumbling stones? I don't think so. Your use of the words "error" and "flaw" is this context makes me wonder whether you are stirring things up for the sake of notoriety. It is in the nature of storytelling that inconsistencies arise after a few repetitions. What's notable in this case is:

a. The differences between the three gospel versions are small and inconsequential as regards interpretation.

b. The inconsistencies illustrate that the gospel writers made no concerted effort to make their stories jibe with each other. They show how little care was taken to conform the Jesus stories with literary models from the Old Testament (or other). While I'm sure they recognized parallels with other texts, as we do, there doesn't seem to be any of the embellishment that might be expected from a polished myth-maker whose overriding purpose is to draw us to something other than the event itself.

So there remains a reasonable conclusion that one and all of the gospel versions are representing an actual historical event. The same goes for the "naked young man" discussion, and other recent topics on this list. Most notably, there was a short time ago a preposterous conclusion that Jesus's historicity must even be called into question. As Steve Black suggested, perhaps such things are being stated just to be provocative (!).

As for the virus just reported, if everyone would just stick with plain text rather than html, this would never happen. In your email preferences, you will undoubtedly find the switch to make this happen.

H.

  • Stumbling Stones, JFAlward, 03/09/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Stumbling Stones, Hudson Barton, 03/13/2001