gmark - Judas

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Judas
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:51:01 -0800

Title: Judas
The role of Judas in Mark has been much discussed. There aren't many clues to his narrative purpose with in the gospel.

I noticed, however, that every time he is mentioned in the second gospel, he is either listed with the twelve, or simply referred to as "one of the Twelve". So perhaps his role is tied into that of the disciples. The "role of the disciples" in this gospel is about as much of a "storm center" of debate as understanding the apocalyptic has been.

Perhaps the twelve are implicated in the death of Jesus through Judas. I don't accept Weeden's theory that Mark was fighting what he saw as heresy coming the original disciples. His theory ("Mark - Traditions in Conflict")  has received much attention and discussion.

My pet theory (for the moment) is somewhat psychological. Mark intends us to identify both with the twelve and with Jesus. The alchemy that occurs when these two identifications happens is somewhat Pauline - and very in keeping with what I consider the central teaching of the second gospel - deny self to gain the kingdom (8:34-35). Mark achieves what Paul speaks (and I believe the possibility of Pauline influence somewhere in the tradition of Mark's community) of in Romans. In effect demonstrating both our sinfulness (Rom 1-3), and God's provision for us. (Rom 4-6)
I haven't worked this out entirely. Any thoughts??

  • Judas, Steve Black, 02/26/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Judas, Steve Black, 02/28/2001