gmark - Secret Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Secret Mark
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:18:59 -0800

I'm curious as to what any one out there thinks of Keoster's and/or Crossan's theory regarding the relationship that Gmark has with "The Secret Gospel of Mark".

For any who are unawares of their thought, they, or at least Koester, (and I hope I get this remotely correct) believe that Secret Mark was written first (contrary to the more "traditional veiw that places it well into the 2nd Cent.), well, no, actually "Proto-Mark" was written first, then Secret Mark, and then Canonical Mark (written mid 2nd cent.?). There's a lot more to the theory, but I'm more interested in any thoughts that may be floating out there in this well informed group then in explaining the theory.

Peace.

  • Secret Mark, Steve Black, 02/19/2001