gmark - Re: the markan-Homer connection

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: the markan-Homer connection
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:00:07 EST

In a message dated 1/24/01 1:42:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
larry.swain AT wmich.edu writes:

<< My question regarding the Homer-Mark thesis is if Mark is truly aware
and has read Home, how do we account for Mark's largely abyssmal Greek
style?

=========
That's a wonderful question; I've indicated in some of my articles about
MacDonald's comparisons that I suspect that "Mark" was a student practicing
his Greek. I didn't say it, but I also suspect that the correlations
attempted by Mark are as clumsy as they are because he was relying on oral
tradition. He need not have read Homer at all; in fact, the article, "The
Baptist's Head" discusses the traditional story of Agamemnon's slaying by
Aegistus and Klytemnestra. In Homer, Klytemnestra did not strike Agamemnon,
but through telling and retelling over centuries, the traditional tale that
developed held that Klytemnestra chopped off her Agamemnon's head herself.

That article is found in the directory at
http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html