gmark - Re: the markan-Homer connection

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: the markan-Homer connection
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:30:53 EST

Steve Black writes:

The Homer discussion reminded me of a post I made re: another topic;

I wonder about the power of the human mind
to see connecting patterns between somewhat similar items being
placed together. An arguably "canonical" approach [if the various items
are within the canon...]
, but with dangers of
becoming overly esoteric. Unless of course it was intentionally
placed there by the author...

I visualize two unrelated abstract paintings being put together side
be side. Any paint strokes from both paintings that are made in the
same direction would stand out, and seem very much related. An
educated mind, however, would be clear that this was irrelevant to
understanding either painting in and by them selves. This idea
becomes void if one of the painters intentionally used motives from
the other painting. (which, I guess, is what's being alleged in the
Markan-Homer connection) So I guess I'm not really adding anything to
the discussion, except to point out the ever present danger of the
Interpreter being more ingenious then the author.
Your point is right on target. In the case of MacDonald's comparison of
Homer's twin feasts of Nestor and Menelaus to Mark's twin feedings of loaves
and fishes, I think MacDonald sees only the brush strokes which are in the
same direction, and even they don't match up well at all.

Articles which analyze ten alleged Homer-Mark story parallels are at
http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

Comments and criticisms are welcomed.

Joe Alward