gmark - Homer and Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Homer and Mark
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:52:56 -0500

"Rikki E. Watts" wrote:

> Does anyone know of any church fathers who commented on Homeric parallels in
> Mark? That they know their Homer is beyond question. He is mentioned
> explicitly nearly 230 times in the AN, e.g. Justin quotes him in ch.1 of his
> Trypho, speaks highly of him as the prince of Greek poets in opening his
> Hortatory address to the Greeks and then goes on to quote him often and at
> length. Others frequently interact with Homer, sometimes criticizing,
> sometimes appealing to him in support of their positions. However, despite
> this extensive awareness none of the AN fathers that I can see ever note any
> kind of parallel between Mark and Homer. Nor as far as I can see do any of
> the early "commentators" on Mark make any reference to Homeric parallels.

I should think an even more important item of investigation is whether there
is any
evidence that Homer was known (and if so, to what extent) among Hellenized
Judaism.
Is Josephus aware of Homer? Any indication that he was known or read in 1st
century
Palestine/Syria?

Yours,

Jeffrey
--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
7423 N. Sheridan Road #2A

  • Homer and Mark, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 09/14/2000