gmark - Re: the center of petitionary prayers in GMark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the center of petitionary prayers in GMark
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 16:42:39 -0600

Philip B Lewis wrote:

> Jeffrey: GMark does not have any "instructed prayer". Jesus is presented
> in the posture of prayer three times: 1. as he withdrew from Simon's house
> where he had healed S's mother in law, 2. as he went into the hills from
> which he would watch the disciples struggling against a strong east wind
> (N.B.) and 3. on the Mt. of Olives after the Eucharist. In this last
> readers were expected to understand that they, like Jesus, were to be
> submissive to God's will.

No "instructed prayer" in GMark? Really? What then do you make of Mk 14:38?
And
what about Jesus' own prayer in the Gethsemane scene about the "hour" and the
"cup"?

> N.B. However, GMark does imclude "No sign will be given to this generation,"
> Mk.8.12, which is expanded by Matt. to "this evil and adulterous
> generation", to which your argument refers. In GMark's *thematic*
> organization, the saying counter-balances the "sign" given to Israel of
> Jesus' walking on the sea ala the Angel of God's Presence who stood between
> Israel and Pharaoh's hosts in the exodus from Egypt. So your association of
> "this generation" with the culture from which believers were to be protected
> through prayer is a good insight.

Yes, the "this generation" theme does appear in GMark. But I must say that I'm
not so certain about your notation of the "sign demand story" as a counterpart
to the sea walking, let alone your interpretation of the event, not only
because
this is nowhere described as a SHMEION, but because, even if it is still
thought
to be a "sign" in the same sense of SHMEION that the SHMEION APO TOU OURANOU
is
a "sign", it is something given to only the disciples not to Israel.

But this is another debate entirely.

Yours,

Jeffrey

--