gmark - the center of petitionary prayers in GMark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT mailhost.chi.ameritech.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: the center of petitionary prayers in GMark
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 12:01:04 -0500

Friends,

I am presenting a paper at the November SBL on the Lord's Prayer in
which I am going to argue the following thesis:

For Matthew and Luke the background and horizon of the prayer is not the
future coming of God as King, let alone any zealous longing for it; nor
is the prayer's primary concern to voice the desire for a speedy
realization of the blessings that the elect would experience once God
finally and decisively manifested himself in all his transcendent power.
Rather, the prayer is grounded in (and arises from) a perception on the
Matthean and Lukan Jesus' part that his disciples are in grave danger of
becoming members of "this generation", that is, those among Jesus'
co-religionists who reject what Jesus shows is God's will for Israel;
and the prayer's focus and concern is that the disciples invoke God's
protection against engaging in this apostasy.

One of the considerations I will be offering in support of this
contention is that a concern to secure divine aid to be obedient to
God's will is the center both of the petitionary prayers which the
Matthean and Lukan Jesus himself prays as well as of those which he
elsewhere urges upon the disciples

So why post this here? I am interested in knowing whether what I detect
with respect to petitionary prayers in GMatt and GLuke is also the case
in GMark.

I'd be grateful, therefore, if List members would (a) list for me what
they consider to be all the petitionary prayers in GMark engaged in by
Jesus or urged by him upon the disciples; and (b) tell me what
they think the center of each of these prayers actually is.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me in this.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

P.S. Anyone who wishes to have an advance look at (a draft of) the paper
I'll be presenting can do so by going to the XTalk Home page
(www.xtalk.org) and clicking on the "here" link under the Articles for
Review subheading on that page.

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson