gmark - Re: Temple negation and fig trees

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Matthew Wesley Mitchell <b82mwm AT morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Temple negation and fig trees
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 18:32:03 -0230 (NDT)

I would never have thought of it before, but is it not possible that
the structure of this indicates a more direct paralleling between fig tree
and temple? Simply this: Jesus sees a fig tree in the distance (apo
makrothen) and approaches to satisfy his hunger. In the same way the
temple is the place people approach, but when they arrive their needs are
not met. Rather simple, but worth a thought. Perhaps you New Testament
folk can decide how this bears on how this affects the dating of Mark
(i.e., if the positioning indicates that the temple was gone at the time
of the writing, like the withered fig tree in the next passage ). Just a
thought.

Matthew W. Mitchell
MA student
Hebrew Bible
Memorial University of Newfoundland

"Faciendi plures libros nullus est finis frequensque meditatio carnis
adflictio est"--Ecclesiastes 12:12