gmark - A new boy on the street -

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Donald Murphy <donmurphy AT btl.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: A new boy on the street -
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:34:44 -0600

It was only this morning that I was able to subscribe to Kara Markon. I
was pleased to see the thread concerning suggested readings on the
Gospel of Mark. Unfortunately I was unable to make contact with the
Archives for Kata Markon (the problem may well be on this end: our
monopolistic server here in Belize is not always totally cooperative).

In any event, I want to mention two books about Mark which I have found
very helpful over the years (quite possibly they were already suggested
before I subscribed):

Kelber, Werner. The Kingdom in Mark: A New Place and A New Time.
Philadelphia, Fortress, 1973. (For teaching purposes
I for years found Kelber's much abbreviated Mark's Story of Jesus,
published by Fortress in 1979, very good.)

Myers, Ched. Binding the Strong Man: A Political Reading of Mark's
Story of Jesus. Maryknoll, New York: Orbis Books, 1988.
(For teaching purposes I am now finding the much abbreviated "Say to
This Mountain": Mark's Story of Discipleship,
co-authored with Myers by Marie Dennis, Joseph Nangle, Cynthis
Moe-Lobeda, and Stuart Taylor) and published by Orbis
Books in 1996 an excellent building on and surpassing of Kelber and
others.)

I look forward to following discussion on Kata Markon!

Best wishes,

Don

begin:          vcard
fn:             Don Murphy, S.J.
n:              Murphy, S.J.;Don
org:            St. John's College   Belize City   Belize
email;internet: donmurphy AT btl.net
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

  • A new boy on the street -, Donald Murphy, 09/13/1999