gmark - Re: GMark Basic Reading List

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.GOODACRE AT bham.ac.uk>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: GMark Basic Reading List
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:00:30 GMT

Since no-one else has mentioned it yet, one of the greats is of course
Nineham's Penguin commentary on Mark, much better than Fenton
on Matthew and Marsh on John and far, far better than Caird on
Luke. If I remember rightly, John Muddiman once wrote a nice
appreciative article about it, called something like "An Owl in the
Desert".

And since no-one else is likely to mention it (unless Jeff Peterson is on
the list), there is the much underrated _A Study in St Mark_ by Austin
Farrer.

Bill Skelton wrote:

> >A second which looks good although I havent
> > gotten too far into it yet is C.S. Mann's in the Anchor series.

That would be my candidate for the worst ever on Mark -- no
question about it.

Mark

Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre AT bham.ac.uk
Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
The New Testament Gateway
Mark Without Q
Aseneth Home Page

  • Re: GMark Basic Reading List, Mark Goodacre, 09/12/1999