freetds - Re: [freetds] Conversion emoji symbols to UTF-8

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Conversion emoji symbols to UTF-8
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:16:15 +0100

> Hello Frediano,
>
> Am 20.04.2016 um 12:13 schrieb Frediano Ziglio:
>> [...] just that you are using the trivial iconv provided with FreeTDS
>> which is not recommended.
>
> I just have to ask - why isn't it recommended to use the trivial iconv?
> Are there known bugs besides the trivial iconv supporting only Unicode
> and ISO8859-1?

None, but this means that you can loose some characters while using
data which cannot store Unicode.
The standard varchar in MSSQL for instance is encoded in CP1252 encoding
which is similar to ISO8859-1 but for instance can contain the euro symbol
while ISO8859-1 cannot. This means that when you have a UTF-8 client
which wants to insert an euro symbol the euro symbol you could have a
failure or the symbol inserted as '?' or just skipped.

> I host some freetds dblib dlls on the Zeoslib project site and for Win64
> it is only the one with the trivial iconv as I have no clue on how to
> comple iconv for 64 bits. And I want to be prepared for bugreprts...

On AppVeyor Ramiros did a very good job using win-iconv library.
You can find win-iconv releases at
https://github.com/win-iconv/win-iconv/releases.

> With best regards,
>
> Jan