freetds - Re: [freetds] latest FreeTDS on Centos 6.4 and latest SQL Server DB

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] latest FreeTDS on Centos 6.4 and latest SQL Server DB
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 09:39:28 +0200

> Hello everyone!
>
> I have CentOS 6.4 64bit webserver and a SQL Server 2008 DB.
> I communicate with SQL Server with unixODBC but looks like it's not really
> performant.
> So I tried to set in odbc.ini TDS_Version = 9.0 and it started to be a bit
> more performant.

9.0 ?? See http://www.freetds.org/userguide/choosingtdsprotocol.htm, you
are using really old documentation.
Performant doing what? Do you have many connection? Usually is the problem
of web servers. Many web servers have support for connection caching. See
unixODBC documentation too.

> BUT since doing tsql -C I see TDS Version as 4.2 so I guess it isn't really
> performant so I am here asking you if to be more performant shall I have to
> do makefile with latest freetds sources with patrameter --with-tdsver=
> *VER *settled as 7.2 ?

There are many way to override default protocol version. For ODBC you can
use connection string, if you are using a DSN configuration set the right
attribute.

> Thanks in advance.
> Cheers,
> Luigi