freetds - Re: [freetds] CS_SERVERADDR tag is not handled correctly in ct_con_props

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] CS_SERVERADDR tag is not handled correctly in ct_con_props
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:39:58 -0500

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 00:03:42 +0000
Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> - should configuration NEVER be read if CS_SERVERADDR is used? Looking
> at libTDS code (tds_read_config_info) seems that an attempt to read
> configuration is always done, even for server:port syntax. However
> setting server_name to "" should cause only global section to be
> parsed.

ISTM the global section of freetds.conf should apply regardless.

Global is global. If you don't want a global setting, don't set it.
If you want to override it, use an environment variable.

Another way to think about it: just because we don't need to use
freetds.conf to resolve a name for a particular host when an address is
provided doesn't imply that non-host (global) settings are invalid.

The configuration establishment code was never my favorite. Too much
logic for very little data. It could use some TLC from someone with a
preference for table-driven design.

HTH.