freetds - Re: [freetds] How to specify the local ip address to connect from

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Steven Peterson <speterson AT listpilot.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] How to specify the local ip address to connect from
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 20:42:29 -0400

James,

I suppose the same machine is connecting to multiple servers, each with
> its own restriction on source IP address?

Yes; exactly

> However, this is a general problem: in general, to connect to remote
> machines, all clients, not only FreeTDS, need to present themselves as
> originating from an acceptable source. The natural answer is to use
> network address translation at the source.

I'd love to help, but I'm afraid I do not have the C skills to provide a
patch. My interim solution will be as you suggest -- use the iptables nat
table to change the source IP address based on the port, (I can specify a
dummy port in FreeTDS, and use that as a flag to iptables to rewrite the
'from' IP). While this may be the general solution, it is probably
getting further into linux than many FreeTDS users are able. So, please
consider a bindAddress parameter as a suggestion to make using FreeTDS
easier for people who are not so familiar with linux.

- Steve