freetds - [freetds] tsql knowing which DB to default to

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Tony Baldarelli" <tbaldarelli AT wmsvision.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] tsql knowing which DB to default to
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 19:26:32 -0400

Hello,

For my production server, it just so happens that the
database I use is the default database. As such, I don't need to use the
following to connect to the correct database inside tsql:

use <database>

go

But now we have 2 other databases that just happen to be on the same server.
This requires me to use the "use <database>" pattern to connect to the
correct database. I thought this setup would get around that requirement,
but it does not:

[Wms_Stage]

host = PBMVMWMSSQLDEV

port = 1433

tds version = 8.0

database=WMS_STAGE

I actually think "database" is not supported as I don't see it in the
documentation online. So either that changed, or someone added it and then
never got rid of it since it does not seem to cause a problem. I want to
make my application ( including SQL scripts ) as blind as possible to the
database, but I cannot if I have to use the "use <database>" pattern for 2
databases, but not the production one. Is there a way to tell tsql to use a
particular database so I don't have to? Note that since "tsql" is run from
a special shell script ( called "sql" ), a perfectly valid option would be
to have a command line option to tsql that tells tsql to use a particular
database. Also, an environmental variable would also work, for this same
reason. Thanks. I could not see an obvious way to do it in the
documentation.

In case you are wondering, I commonly run a command like this: sql <
report.sql. Since "sql" is defined differently for each database (
actually, each Linux user ), I just want to be able to "run" the same sql
script against all 3 databases without any changes at all. Thus my
questions above. Here is an example of the "sql" script using the above
freetds.conf setup:

[wmsStage]> more sql

tsql -S Wms_Stage -U <user name removed for security> -P
<Password removed for security>

echo

[wmsStage]>

Tony Baldarelli