freetds - [freetds] can odbc query of MSSQL varbinary show a hexadecimal string

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Mike Slifcak <slif AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] can odbc query of MSSQL varbinary show a hexadecimal string
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:31:40 -0400

Hi,

I've been working about a week with FreeTDS. The mailing list archive has
been helpful,
and the documentation is straight forward.
I'm obtaining good results with the FreeTDS driver and Perl DBD-ODBC.

Thank you for all your hard work!

Connecting without issue to MS SQL Server 2000.
The SQL server defines a sysprotects table with a VARBINARY field named
columns.

Connecting with tsql, a

SELECT columns from sysprotects

shows a hexadecimal string.
Connecting with Perl DBD-ODBC + FreeTDS, the same SELECT shows a binary
stream.

I've tried changing the query to

SELECT CAST(columns as TEXT) from sysprotects

but that is not allowed.

DBD::ODBC::db prepare failed: [FreeTDS][SQL Server]
Statement(s) could not be prepared. (SQL-42000)
[state was 42000 now 22018]

Using Perl DBI 1.616, DBD-ODBC 1.25, FreeTDS 0.82,

and without resorting to post-processing Perl wizardry,
and without writing any SQL server stored procedure (read-only access to
MSSQL 2000),

Is there some combination of freetds.conf/odbc.ini/odbcinst.ini settings that
can produce a result for VARBINARY as a hexadecimal string?

Does the recent release provide that combination?
Thank you,
-Mike Slifcak