freetds - Re: [freetds] Support Host/Port In DBLIB

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Support Host/Port In DBLIB
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 20:05:59 -0400

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:55:23 +0200
Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> There is also the "my_server\instance" syntax.

Yes. The trouble is that nowadays Microsoft servers afaik no longer
default to port 1433. Instead, they default to the "default instance"
whose port is discovered by querying 1434 for the instance
"MSSQLSERVER".

A few years ago, TDS 7.0 + DNS + port 1433 would connect most of the
time. Now, DNS + MSSQLSERVER is better.

That give me an idea.

If
freetds.conf & interface lookup fails
and TDS version is 7+ (default or $TDSVER)
then
append "\\MSSQLSERVER" to the servername
someplace in config.c.

as though that's what the user specified.

> If we want to add many attributes even in dblib I think we should
> think about a standard way to add these. For this reason and cause the
> patch is about adding feature I personally won't put it in rc version.

Agreed. Except all this name decorating (:port, \instance) is ad hoc
and not well supported. Environment variables are the way to go.