freetds - Re: [freetds] status of snapshots

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser AT sigpipe.cz>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] status of snapshots
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 23:54:44 +0200

# randy AT rcs-comp.com / 2011-04-09 13:36:09 -0400:
> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:35 AM, James K. Lowden
> <jklowden AT freetds.org>wrote:
> > We plan to drop CVS, and Sourceforge, probably in favor of git on
> > github. Your Late Bronze Age maintainer is, really, just fine with CVS
> > and not especially eager to spend time learning yet another metatool.
> > If the choice makes a difference to you, this would be a good time to
> > say so.
>
> I understand the sentiment of not wanting to learn another tool. However, I
> would just like to +1 moving to github (or bitbucket). We made the switch
> from SVN to mercurial/bitbucket over a year ago and have never looked back.
> Yah, it does take a little getting used to, but its well worth the effort
> IMO. It was easier for our team to learn mercurial than git especially b/c
> we wanted native Windows support, but thats mostly a personal preference
> thing IMO. Either option is much better than the status quo IMO.

similar experience and opinion here. choose whatever you like, just
make sure it's decentralized and can be used over http, so the poor
hacks behind corporate firewalls can access the master repository.

> It would be yet another meta tool to learn, but we have found the
> Sphinx documentation system to be an excellent tool:
>
> http://sphinx.pocoo.org/
>
> Built in Python, but very usable for non-python projects (C included).

also seconded; for example, this is also a sphinx product:
http://docs.pure-lang.googlecode.com/hg/pure.html#examples

> Finally, it might be helpful to have official minor releases.

seconded as well. some of us (like me ;) are bound by midstream
maintainer decisions and/or company-wide software acquisition policies
which, combined with freetds' low release frequency, may prevent us (me)
from deploying freetds at all.

--
roman