freetds - Re: [freetds] status of snapshots

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Randy Syring <randy AT rcs-comp.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] status of snapshots
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 13:36:09 -0400

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:35 AM, James K. Lowden <jklowden AT freetds.org>wrote:

> We plan to drop CVS, and Sourceforge, probably in favor of git on
> github. Your Late Bronze Age maintainer is, really, just fine with CVS
> and not especially eager to spend time learning yet another metatool.
> If the choice makes a difference to you, this would be a good time to
> say so.

I understand the sentiment of not wanting to learn another tool. However, I
would just like to +1 moving to github (or bitbucket). We made the switch
from SVN to mercurial/bitbucket over a year ago and have never looked back.
Yah, it does take a little getting used to, but its well worth the effort
IMO. It was easier for our team to learn mercurial than git especially b/c
we wanted native Windows support, but thats mostly a personal preference
thing IMO. Either option is much better than the status quo IMO.

Also, FWIW, one of the biggest struggles I had coming into FreeTDS was not
knowing what the current status of the project was and getting accurate
information from the documentation/website. I was also concerned somewhat
that the last release was in 2008 (or so it seemed). If the releases are
going to continue to be so long apart, you might want to consider changing
the docs section of the website to have docs by release, including a "dev"
release. For example:

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/

Note the "jump to version" in the upper right hand corner. Current release
is 0.6.x but they have docs for 0.7 beta too. It would be yet another meta
tool to learn, but we have found the Sphinx documentation system to be an
excellent tool:

http://sphinx.pocoo.org/

Built in Python, but very usable for non-python projects (C included).

Finally, it might be helpful to have official minor releases. I'm not sure
what the current method is, it seems like it almost just "rolls" with
whatever is checked into CVS. Without review/testings phases, it seems like
that is buggy process. Its was just very hard for me to understand, still
is, and I have been scouring the website/lists for the last week trying to
track down the bug I have posted about. I'm grateful for the work that has
been put in, and know docs are one of the hardest things to devote time to,
but IMO formalizing the development process a little more and having better
communication through the docs and website would be a great improvement for
the project.

Thats a little more than you asked for, but just wanted to share some
thoughts I had over the last week as I was trying to become familiar with
the project.

Randy Syring
Intelicom
Direct: 502-276-0459