freetds - Re: [freetds] Integrated Windows Authentication

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Integrated Windows Authentication
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:29:52 -0400

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:12:34 +0000
"Korosi, Nick" <nkorosi AT indians.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if it's possible pass the current users credentials to
> Microsoft SQL Server using integrated authentication so that the user
> doesn't have to type in their password in clear text. I have Samba/Winbind
> installed and the Linux server is a member of the domain. The user is
> logging into the shell with their domain username and password as well.

http://freetds.schemamania.org/91/userguide/kerberos.htm
http://freetds.schemamania.org/91/userguide/config.htm#EVERYONE

Yes. All you need is Kerberos:

1. Kerberos has use Active Directory
2. kinit(1) and sclient(1) should work
3. FreeTDS is configured with --enable-krb5
4. you've linked in the Kerberos libraries

then it should Just Work. The utilities in the current snapshot don't even
require -U and -P; they attempt a Kerberos/SSPI login if no username is
provided.