freetds - Re: [freetds] Transaction getting stuck in SQLBindCol

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Transaction getting stuck in SQLBindCol
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 18:00:00 -0400

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 17:37:12 +0000
Matthew Gates <MGates AT redplc.com> wrote:

> When SQLBindCol is called, is any connection to the database required which
> might be blocking due to a sporadic network issue? Where else might a
> problem lie?

SQLBindCol() provokes no network activity. It simply tells the library the
form in which it wants to see the data, and about the buffer into which the
transformed data are to be placed.

There's hardly even a loop. The only one I see is on the error path (always
ripe for problems) in odbc_get_msg().

If you're convinced the SQLBindCol() isn't returning, I'd write a tiny log
recording the entry and exit of it and the funcitions it calls:

IS_VALID_LEN
ODBC_RETURN
ODBC_RETURN_
desc_alloc_records