freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS + SQL Server + NTLM v2?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Samuel Bayer <sam AT mitre.org>
  • To: "freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS + SQL Server + NTLM v2?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:33:01 -0500

Peter C. Norton wrote:

[I'm far from an expert, so apologies in advance if I'm mis-reading
your environment and the errors - we don't use NTLM with SQL Server]

Are you sure that you're negotiating NTLM and not kerberos in this
case? I always thought that the "trusted domain" vs. "untrusted
domain" indicated AD/krb5 auth. I also thought that "windows
authentication" indicated the same.

We've noticed that SQL Server 2008 can be persnickity with various
forms of trust in general... Can you try the same test against a
win2k3 server to isolate that?

I'll check with my admins, but I'm virtually certain that this really is NTLMv2. As I said earlier, the jTDS JDBC connection works with the useNTLMv2 flag set, and I'm assuming that that code is correct. But I could be wrong.

Unfortunately, I don't believe I have access to a different version of SQL Server.

Does anyone know which of the precise cases described in Appendix C of http://davenport.sourceforge.net/ntlm.html my case corresponds to? I've been assuming it's either "NTLMv2 Authentication; NTLM1 Signing and Sealing Using the 40-bit NTLMv2 User Session Key" or "NTLMv2 Authentication; NTLM2 Signing and Sealing Using the 56-bit NTLMv2 User Session Key", but all this NTLM2 vs NTLMv2 stuff is making my head swim a bit.

Thanks in advance -

Sam Bayer
The MITRE Corporation
sam AT mitre.org