freetds - Re: [freetds] SSL connection to MS SQL 2008 - working

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Frediano Ziglio <freddy77 AT gmail.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] SSL connection to MS SQL 2008 - working
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:04:49 +0200

2010/10/4 Plot Lost <plot.lost AT gmail.com>

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Bob wrote:
>
> > When I last got freetds to work with encryption it was SQL 2005 not 2008,
> > but anyway I couldn't get openssl to work, and somebody on the list
> > suggested trying GNUTLS instead. Have you tried that?
> >
> > Bob
>

> Well, this was the eventual solution - thanks.
>
> Just to summarize:
>
> OpenSSL handshake fails unless the list of ciphers is extended. Even then
> though once the handshake is complete the login phase fails (hangs)

It seems something changed in OpenSSL code and mssql does not like the
change... I did some strace/ltrace and we just call SSL_connect and that
SSL_write. SSL_connect dialog is very similar to GnuTLS one but SSL_write
seems to write an additional TLS packet before real data. I don't know
why... I don't know TLS that well... I tried to search for some options but
I didn't find any suitable..

> GnuTLS works, but the configure script needs to be changed to support
> versions from 2.8.0 or above.

Already in CVS HEAD... I hope to see a new release...

Thanks for testing this out.