freetds - Re: [freetds] [Fwd: FreeTDS for MS VC++ 2010]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: jklowden AT schemamania.org
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] [Fwd: FreeTDS for MS VC++ 2010]
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 10:18:02 -0400

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 12:59:30PM +0200, LacaK wrote:

> When I run NMake.exe using command like:
> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\nmake.exe" -f
> Nmakefile -nologo PLATFORM=win32 CONFIGURATION=debug
>
> Then error is shown (same under VC2005,2010):
> 'perl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

GENERATED_FILES = include\tdsver.h include\types.h \
src\tds\tds_willconvert.h src\tds\encodings.h src\tds\num_limits.h

The Nmakefile is designed for someone working from CVS with Perl already
installed. Some .h files are generated with Perl and are not stored in CVS;
thus anyone building from CVS needs Perl.

Most people, though, build from a distribution tarball. The tarballs don't
require Perl because they include pre-built .h files. Your message is a
little surprising, because the Nmakefile shouldn't invoke Perl when unpacked
from a tarball: it should find the .h files already built and be happy with
that.

Which of the above files is it trying to build? Can you figure out why? Is
the target file really missing, or is it older than its dependent?

If I misunderstood and you're actually building from CVS, you either need to
install Perl or grab the .h files from a tarball.

HTH.