freetds - [freetds] Newbie Q: v 0.62 works from last year, new install of 0.82

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Aaron Barrus <AaronBarrus AT diecutsinc.com>
  • To: "freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] Newbie Q: v 0.62 works from last year, new install of 0.82
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:15:13 -0600

Hello Freetds list,

I installed freetds on centos a couple years ago to talk to my SQL server.
It's been working daily ever since through a shell script. That was version
0.62.

Today I tried installing freetds on a new server, and the latest version I
see is 0.82. I'm trying to talk to the same sql server, but on the new
install I'm getting an error.

Below are some examples of my problem.

Working server:

[root@Sebell]# /usr/local/bin/tsql -H<ip_address> -p1433 -U*** -P***
locale is "en_US.UTF-8"
locale charset is "UTF-8"
1> quit
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root

Failing server:

[root@menolly]# /usr/local/bin/tsql -H<ip_address> -p1433 -U*** -P***
locale is "en_US.UTF-8"
locale charset is "UTF-8"
Msg 20017, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
Unexpected EOF from the server
Msg 20002, Level 9, State -1, Server OpenClient, Line -1
Adaptive Server connection failed
There was a problem connecting to the server

Both linux boxes, and the host SQL server, are all in the same network subnet.

Any thoughts about why the new freetds installation is failing to connect?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron