freetds - Re: [freetds] BCP In of data too large fails [NC]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Cedric ROUVRAIS <cedric.rouvrais AT sgcib.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] BCP In of data too large fails [NC]
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:40:07 -0400

freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote on 08/24/2009 09:29:19 PM:
> In the instant case, we're discussing a very fine point: how should the
> bcp utility respond to a line in a file with a field too wide for its
> column? We're already in the error domain. It's the kind of thing the
> vendor might change between versions. In fact, *did* change when ANSI
> compatibility was introduced. Not only that: it's very fragile, because
> the batch system (bcp) depends on a potentially changing server-side
> environment it can't easily interrogate.

My personal point of view is that the bcp file should mirror a table. If
data manipulation is required to insert the data, then the data is bogus
and should not be inserted.
I did the change in the freebcp source code to assist the migration
regarding data truncation, but the projects have 12 months to clean shop.

If it were up to me, my current inclination would be to provide a command
parameter to enforce strict or lax bcp insertion.

> > Is it too late for you to look at the changes I have brought and
> > eventually put them in?
>
> I would like to include them, with Frediano's kind permission. Where do
> you stand?

Basic nutshell I added all the command line options offered by bcp and isql
to freebcp and bsqldb. Also fixed couple of minor bugs.

Also improved the support of format files because there where some small
issues.

a++ Cedric

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential, intended
solely for the addressee(s), and may contain legally privileged information.
Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. E-mails are susceptible
to alteration. Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or
affiliates shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.