freetds - Re: [freetds] BCP In of data too large fails [NC]

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Cedric ROUVRAIS <cedric.rouvrais AT sgcib.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] BCP In of data too large fails [NC]
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 18:45:32 -0400

Hi Konrad,

I see two aspects:

1/ Fixing bugs in the libraries or behaviours that are not compliant to
ANSI Specs. For example dropping spaces from fixed char columns.
2/ Providing a similar behaviour to Sybase clients for those who are
migrating away.

Regarding point 1, from my perspective this needs to be applied to FreeTDS
because conformance to standards is niverna.

Regarding point 2, my personal view is that FreeTDS should offer an
alternative binary rather than changing back and forth the binary based on
who speaks louder. In my case this is already done. (bcp.c and isql.c
versus freebcp.c and bsqldb.c)

a++ Cedric

freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote on 08/24/2009 06:37:57 PM:

> Cedric ROUVRAIS wrote:
> > freetds-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote on 08/24/2009 06:16:33 PM:
> >
> >> We are using either freebcp or MS BCP.EXE to automatically
> >> upload tens-of-GB of data every night on each of 20+ systems
> >> and my vote is for freebcp to work EXACTLY like MS BCP.EXE.
> >
> > I have ensured that FreeTDS freebcp and bsqldb works exactly as Sybase
> > bcp/isql and have fixed bugs in the process because my vote is for
freebcp
> > to work EXACTLY like Sybase BCP.EXE.
> >
> > You have a perspective, I have a perspective. Who is right? The one
with
> > the most developpers and systems? I think you will loose there ;o)
> >
> > So, for the next release the question of whether or not someone wants
> > look at the changes/fixes remains in the air. The fixes aren't related
only
> > to the column size issue of freebcp.c as bsqldb.c/bcp.c/dblib.c have
been
> > changed to for other reasons.
> >
> > a++ Cedric
>
> Cedric --
>
> Question ... After you have gotten 'as many apps as possible off Sybase
ASAP'