freetds - Re: [freetds] Building Sybperl against FreeTDS on Fedora

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Building Sybperl against FreeTDS on Fedora
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 06:02:27 -0400

Ed Avis wrote:

> %configure \
> --disable-dependency-tracking \
> --disable-rpath \
> %{!?_with_static: --disable-static} \
> --with-tdsver="4.2" \
> --with-unixodbc="%{_prefix}" \
> --enable-msdblib \
> --enable-sybase-compat \
> --with-gnutls
>
> Now, I do want to use FreeTDS to connect to an MSSQL server, so do I
> need to keep that flag in there?

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/config.htm#EVERYONE

As the UG says, these flags provide a small degree of compatibility. In
the case of msdblib, it adjusts the date structure; sybase-compat adds a
symbol.

So, no, you don't need --enable-msdblib to connect to a Microsoft server;
you need it only if you're working with code that expects Microsoft's
db-lib conventions. (That's why it's calls msdblib and not, say, ms-tds.)
Sybperl, on the contrary, expects Sybase db-lib conventions.

> If so, I guess Sybperl needs patching to build against a FreeTDS
> configured this way. I might go through the Sybperl source and add
> various #ifdef MSDBLIB sections. Does that sound a reasonable way to
> proceed?

Well, it *could* be. Easiest is to rebuild FreeTDS without those two
flags. Modifying Sybperl might possibly be of some service, in that it
would facilitate using Fedora as-is, or even potentially using Microsoft's
library.

HTH.