freetds - [freetds] Problems with parallel insert into MS SQL server

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Omri Bentov <omribentov AT gmail.com>
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [freetds] Problems with parallel insert into MS SQL server
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 14:09:03 +0200

Hi,

We are running a project that connects to MS SQL using multiple parallel
ODBC connections (utilizing multiple threads). When we send the data from
our server to the MS SQL server, we see that the data is received on a
number of connections (i.e. when opening 5 connection from the server to the
DB, we see 5 working connections), but only one connection is being utilized
at the same time. When we tried to do the same test while running on windows
(using the MS ODBC driver), we saw that more that one connection is utilized
at the same time.

Our set up specifications are:
1. Linux CentOS 5.2
2. FreeTDS-0.82-1
3. unixODBC-2.2.11-7.1
4. MS SQL Server 2008

Do you have any ideas if the FreeTDS driver does any serialization on
execute ?

Is it possible to support such a configuration using a different
configuration of the FreeTDS ?

Best Regards,

Omri Bentov