freetds - Re: [freetds] libtds, libreplacements...

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] libtds, libreplacements...
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 10:37:23 -0500

andrey.utkin AT wildix.com wrote:
> The relationship of parts - libtds, libreplacements, libct and
> libsybdb - is still unclear to me. AFAIR from docs, programs that use
> freetds functionality must link against libct and libsybdb.

Let me clear that up for you. :-)

$ find build/ -name \*.a
build//src/tds/.libs/libtds.a
build//src/dblib/.libs/libsybdb.a
build//src/ctlib/.libs/libct.a
build//src/replacements/.libs/libreplacements.a
build//src/server/.libs/libtdssrv.a
build//src/odbc/.libs/libtdsodbc.a

You link to just one API library:

* db-lib: libsybdb
* ct-lib: libct
* ODBC: libtdsodbc

The rest is just machinery. You don't mention them when linking your
application. They're used to build the API libraries:

* libtds implements the TDS protocol
* libreplacements provides function missing from your libc, if any

and, finally:

* libtdssrv implements server-side functions.

Thanks for the question. There's an implicit assumption in the UG that
the reader already knows how to use the libraries as provided by the
vendors, and that FreeTDS is just a drop-in replacement. Complete
documentation wouldn't assume that; I'll fix it for next time.