freetds - [freetds] FreeTDS installed but Does Not Show In PHP Modules

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Wei, Alice J." <ajwei AT indiana.edu>
  • To: "'freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] FreeTDS installed but Does Not Show In PHP Modules
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 07:39:34 -0400

Hi,

I have recently installed a Linux machine using Fedora so that I could turn
it into a web server that hosts mostly PHP pages, while I am intending to
connect to an external database server that runs on Microsoft SQL 2005.

I was told to install the product FreeTDS as a fixture to my current
problems, which my problems still exist. After I have finished installing
Apache and also your program, I was told by the people on the PHP list to
install PHP and use the following prompt to configure my PHP.

./configure --with-mssql=/usr/local/freetds --prefix=/usr/local/php

During the configuration process, the machine displayed that it could not
find the FreeTDS directory, even though it listed that mssql was configured
in the PHP installation. I had configured my freetds to the following:

# A typical Microsoft server

[egServer70]

host = 192.168.10.62

port = 1433

tds version = 7.2

I could currently finally use the command line and telnet to the server that
hosts the MS SQL database, but when I tried to connect to it using PHP, I
still have lines that say I could not connect to the server. If my PHP syntax
is accurate,

// connection to the database
$dbhandle = mssql_connect($myServer, $myUser, $myPass)
or die("Couldn't connect to SQL Server on $myServer");

// select a database to work with
$selected = mssql_select_db($myDB, $dbhandle)
or die("Couldn't open database $myDB");

Could anyone please tell me what I have done wrong here? Should I install
more packages? Or, should I not install my freetds in the /usr/local
directory?

I welcome any suggestion.

Alice