freetds - Re: [freetds] Ongoing work for released version of FreeTDS version0, 64, 0, 6182

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Ongoing work for released version of FreeTDS version0, 64, 0, 6182
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:52:40 +0100

> First, a word of explanation:
>
> We are using the FreeTDS driver in a strange way. We need lots of
> functionality not present in the FreeTDS driver, and so we
> are using it
> as a sort of low level file source. We need (for instance) updateable
> cursors and many other things that are not present (we have already
> implemented these things but we do not put them into the
> FreeTDS driver
> because we are not currently familiar enough with the code
> base to do it
> effectively and on time.)

We implemented updatable cursors, but I think your driver have also to
handle sql syntax differencies.

> We have another driver that sits over top of the FreeTDS driver and
> gives it a very full capability as not only an ODBC driver but also
> OLEDB, .NET, JDBC and with access to hundreds of functions
> like standard
> deviation, etc. that do not exist in the original database.
> Further, we
> have to be able to transparently join Sybase and SQL*Server using the
> driver with any other database like Adabas or IMS or Rdb, etc.
> transparently and without programming.
>
> You can see how our products work by looking at what you may
> find here:
> http://www.connx.com/

It's fantastic

> And so our test cases will be impossible or at least very
> difficult for
> you to reproduce because we have a very large layer that sits over top
> of the actual FreeTDS driver.

Well... if changing from 0.64 to 0.82 cause some problems it would be
fine to understand why it fails and wrote a small test. I usually use
ODBC trace or TDSDUMP to do this job (some test came from some Windows
program I wrote some time ago).