freetds - Re: [freetds] Using FreeTDS ct-lib with Sybase CT-lib loaded

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Using FreeTDS ct-lib with Sybase CT-lib loaded
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:36:06 -0500

rboehne AT comcast.net wrote:
> We are using FreeTDS from Python via a dynamically loaded module. We
> also use a module to connect to Sybase servers that uses Sybase's libct
> / libsybdb libraries. The trouble is that the names of the shared
> objects are the same, so they can't be loaded into the same process. We
> have worked around this problem by hacking the FreeTDS build to change
> the names of these two libraries. Now I would like to make this an
> option to the configure script, so others can quickly solve this same
> problem.
>
> Would you be interested in a patch?

Thanks, but I doubt it. :-/

Why did you not simply adjust the PREFIX to park the FreeTDS libraries in
their own directory? That would leave them useable by other applications
and keep their names recognizable.

If it's imperative to have them in the same directory, I would still have
installed them in their own directory, and used a one-time shell loop to
create symbolic links of different names to them.

What advantage would there be to controlling the linker output name
instead?