freetds - [freetds] New: Tenderfoot tutorial

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] New: Tenderfoot tutorial
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 21:44:33 -0500

Having received a few requests for a sample db-lib program, and having
been told bsqldb was *not* it, I took Stab 2. I would appreciate your
feedback, especially if you're an old hand who fancies himself an expert.
If you think there's any missing/bad advice or any code that doesn't
comport with common db-lib idioms, I'd very much like to hear.

Rather than straight source code, I decided to add the program to the User
Guide. It's kind of an exercise in literate programming
(http://www.literateprogramming.com/). I hope that's not too grand a
claim.

The source code can be extracted from doc/userguide.sgml with the attached
Perl script, and builds on my machine with the attached Makefile. If you
think it's worthwhile, I could package the extracted source in the samples
directory of the distribution tarball. I don't want to put it in apps/
because 1) it's not very much of an app and 2) I'd have to add alot of
preprocessor stuff to make it compile portably, which would interfere with
its pedagogical purpose.

The new doc/userguide.sgml will be in tonight's tarball. It won't be
posted on the website until the next release, whenever that is.

Interesting to note we passed the 100th update to the UG not long ago, and
the 300th to dblib.c (since we started keeping track). I don't know what
it all means, but there's certainly more of it.

Enjoy.

  • [freetds] New: Tenderfoot tutorial, James K. Lowden, 12/09/2007