freetds - [freetds] SQL Server 2005 and TDS version 8 -- is login always encapsulated in TLS (encrypted)?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: crawford charles <fiducianettestz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] SQL Server 2005 and TDS version 8 -- is login always encapsulated in TLS (encrypted)?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:26:41 -0700 (PDT)

Freddy's response to Adam's question prompts me to
ask one of my own:
Do version 8 MS SQL clients *always* use TLS to
encapsulate the LOGIN, or can other encapsulations
be used to hide the login ID?
I read the MSSQL document (thank you), and what I
believe to be the relevant parts of freeTDS code, but
that tells me one way to get the client and server
talking over a TCP session.
I know that "Windows Integrated Authentication" uses
Kerberos. Is there a way for a SqlServer 2005 client
to use these Kerberos-derived credentials (and
possibly
the Kerberos session key) for the SqlServer login?

Thanks.

--- "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT"
<Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com> wrote:

> > Hi all,
> > I have been using some perl scripts with SQL
> 2000 for a
> > while now and
> > our organisation is looking to use 2005 in the
> near future.
> >
> > The only way I can get a connection to SQL 2005 is
> to lower my TDS
> > version to 7.0.

<snip>
> > Message String: Login incorrect.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > Adam Clark
> > Network Administrator
> >

> Which FreeTDS version are you using?
> Are you using domain authentication?
> If you are using 0.64 did you apply patch at
> http://freetds.sourceforge.net/?
>
> freddy77

Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail,
news, photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC