freetds - Re: [freetds] FreeTDS On Win32

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] FreeTDS On Win32
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 21:06:58 -0400

Adam Jones wrote:
> It is my understanding that FreeTDS uses ODBC? Or does it connect
> directly to the MS SQL Server

Well, I don't know what your understanding is, but the question you pose
suggests some confusion.

FreeTDS connects "directly to the MS SQL Server", yes. It communicates
with the server via a protocol known as Tabular Data Stream.

As mentioned in the User Guide, FreeTDS offers three libraries
implementing three APIs for applications to use. One of them is ODBC.
All of them wind up communicating to the server in the same way, using the
same protocol (because that's what the server understands).

So, FreeTDS doesn't *use* ODBC. It *provides* ODBC; it's an ODBC driver.
Applications that use ODBC can use the FreeTDS driver if they want to
connect to Microsoft or Sybase databases.

Hope that answers your question. :-)