freetds - Re: [freetds] freetds.conf

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Reid, Roger L." <roger.reid AT dpw.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] freetds.conf
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 22:28:18 -0400

It might matter to Apache, depending on the change you made.

I use DNS names to hide the server on a per application basis. So db-appthis
may point to 'sql001.etc' and db-appthat may point to
'sql001.etc' as well.

Apache, in the name of security, blows this off by caching anything it has
already resolved once (to prevent spoof attacks). It ignores DNS changes for
CNAMEs it has already resolved once.

I'm trying to think this through, as to whether a change in freetds.conf that
does NOT involve a change in DNS could be a problem.

Where I have issues is when a developer has 'db-appthat' in thier web
datasource, and I change DNS out from under them - so
they are still looking for 'db-appthat', but it resolves now to 'sql002'
(truly a different instance). When I do that, Apache says, "I already know
that 'db-appthat' is XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" and will not re-resolve it and learn it
is actually XXX.XXX.ZZZ.YYY now.

I admit this is a special case, and strictly speaking violates the standards
for CNAME - but it sure is flexible - has serve me well for connecting via
various methods from Unix and Windows to Sybase on Unix and SQL Server on
Windows.

Except when it comes to Apache. Anyway, I'm not sure this is at all relevant
to more normal use, and how your developers make thier connections

roger reid