freetds - Re: [freetds] bcp currently broken for BIT type in TDS 5.0

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <james.k.lowden AT alliancebernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] bcp currently broken for BIT type in TDS 5.0
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 10:06:59 -0500

Hmm. This actually started with the systypes table. I don't know what
status I was testing Chris's -1 rows returned on a Sybase server, and
freebcp broke! It's been awhile since that happened.

This is not caught by our unit test, either, by the way.

I don't know what the "status" field is supposed to tell us, really.
Especially since it's not there, and not used:

1> sp_layout syscolumns
2> go
ColumnName Type Length Nulls
----------- ------------------------- ----------- -----
id int 4 N
number smallint 2 N
colid smallint 2 N
status tinyint 1 N
type tinyint 1 N
length int 4 N
offset smallint 2 N
usertype smallint 2 N
cdefault int 4 N
domain int 4 N
name sysname 30 N
printfmt varchar 255 Y
prec tinyint 1 Y
scale tinyint 1 Y
remote_type int 4 Y
remote_name varchar 30 Y
xstatus int 4 Y
xtype int 4 Y
xdbid int 4 Y
accessrule int 4 Y
status2 int 4 Y

1> select name, xstatus, status2 from syscolumns where object_name(id)
in ('systypes', 'bittypes', 'jkltypes') and (xstatus is not NULL or
status2 is not NULL)
2> go
name xstatus status2
------------------------------ ----------- -----------

(0 rows affected)

Thanks for the advice anyway. Please let me know if you find out
anything else.

Somewhere I have an old 11.5 Sybase installation. If I can boot that
machine, maybe tcpdump will lend a clue. But I'd sure be glad if
someone else found out first. The only thing I ever do with Sybase
servers these days is test against them.

Regards,

The information contained in this transmission may be privileged and
confidential and is intended only for the use of the person(s) named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent
responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, any review,
dissemination,
distribution or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you are
not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply
e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message. Please note that we do not
accept
account orders and/or instructions by e-mail, and therefore will not be
responsible
for carrying out such orders and/or instructions. If you, as the intended
recipient
of this message, the purpose of which is to inform and update our clients,
prospects
and consultants of developments relating to our services and products, would
not
like to receive further e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply"
to the
sender indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New
York,
NY 10105.